Geoffrey Robert James Borwick was born in 1955 and succeeded to the barony following the death of his father, the 4th Baron, in 2007. As such he has never sat in the Lords by hereditary right but was elected to the House by his peers in 2013 following the death of Hugh Mackay, 13th Lord Reay, where he sits as a Conservative.
Prior to his entry into the House, Lord Borwick had a long career in business, most notably as chief executive of Manganese Bronze Holdings Plc, which manufactures black cabs, between 1987 and 2001. He was also founder and owner of Coventry electric truck producer Modec between 2004 and 2011 and was chairman of Route2Mobility Ltd, which funded wheelchairs and scooters for disabled people, until October 2010.
He has also served as chairman of Countryside Properties (Bicester) Ltd, managing director of Love Lane Investments Ltd and chairman of Federated Trust Corporation Ltd. He was a non-executive Director of Hansa Trust Plc from 1984 to 2012. In addition to his work in business, he has also served as a trustee of the British Lung Foundation and the Royal Brompton and Harefield Charity, as well as deputy chairman on the board of the British Low Carbon Vehicle Partnership.
In 1981 he married Victoria Poore, a businesswoman in events management, who is now Deputy Mayor of London. Lady Borwick, also a Conservative, was chosen by Steve Norris as his running mate in his 1999 bid to oust Ken Livingstone as mayor and, in 2002, was elected a borough councillor in Kensington & Chelsea. In 2008 she was elected to the London Assembly, becoming Boris Johnson’s deputy following his re-election in 2012. The couple have a daughter and three sons, including heir the Hon. Edwin Dennis William Borwick, who was born in 1984.
The Borwick barony was created in 1922 for Sir Robert Hudson Borwick, chairman of baking and custard power manufacturer George Borwick & Sons Ltd, which had been founded by his father. Prior to his elevation to the peerage, he had been created a baronet, of Eden Lacy in the County of Lancaster, in 1916.